Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Of crust & good filling.

So. I enjoy baking; some of you may know this already. To me, the allure of cooking lies in the way it can be appreciated on so many levels. It should look beautiful and taste delicious. It must also smell appetizing and, ideally, make people happy. 
All in all, quite the toothsome challenge.

Additionally, baking is the creation of an impermanent work. In fact, you don't want it to stick around long at all—you want it to disappear quickly! I delight in this contrast to other styles of art.

My friend MJ and I bake well together. We like to make similar things, and our styles harmonize easily (MJ is also a fantastic writer and photographer, as may be witnessed here). 
A few weeks ago we made two wonderful pies, if I do say so myself. But let me show you!

The first was Rhubarb Meringue.








With leftover crust we mixed up some blackberry filling. So cute in its itty cast-iron skillet-turned-pie tin!








Sorry, we have none left for tastings. Alas!
Perhaps next time.


No comments:

Post a Comment